Friday, March 16, 2018

Slice Of Life #93 - 800 METERS! - Friday, 16th, March 2018

    Today was track and field day. All the boys shuffled like prisoners to the bleachers, not wanting to waste any energy as they would run later. I climbed the stairs to the seats and settled down with my best friends, T and TJ. We started chatting about the story that we are writing together (and aiming to publish it) and some other things.
    The girls were in the gym first, and they got to select which events they wanted to do. They got to choose from shot put, turbo javelin, or high jump.
    When all the boys came, they started the event. The teachers called us down for some stretches and warming up. After that, it was time for the 800m race, the longest event of the day. The race was with a waterfall start, and I decided to challenge myself to race 4 laps around my school's field.
    "Congratulations for choosing the hardest event for today." A teacher said. "Remember, that every step that you take must be at a good pace. If you run really fast in the beginning, then you know what's going to happen."
    "Your going to slow down tremendously, and your probably going to lose."
    We were lead to the starting line. We all lined up in a slanting formation, looking straight forward. We had to get to a mark before you were allowed to cut in.
    "ON YOUR MARK, GET SET... GO!" One of the PE teachers, Ms. Simpson, shouted. We all sprinted as fast as we could, and we all hit the cut in mark like a army. No one was still left running towards cut in mark. As soon as our legs crossed the cut in mark, everyone started to try and push people out of the way, running into the inside lane.
    I pushed hard, and soon I was running in 3rd place. The first lap finished in no time, and my pace slowed down even though it was supposed to get faster. I didn't want to waste too much energy. I overtook someone as soon as I past the starting line, and started to go faster so we could get a gap between us. I didn't want him to overtake me again.
    On the 3rd lap, I was taking massive breaths. My intake of oxygen was getting slower. I breathed hard, carrying myself with every step that I took.
    Finally, it was the final lap. I ran faster, trying to overtake the person in front of me. I remembered not to run too fast, because I would use any bit of left energy on the final 20m. When I got to the final 20m, I ran as fast as I could, not my fastest because I didn't have any more energy. I just managed to beat the other person in front of me, as my leg passed the finish line just before him. My final step that I took in that race was a leap.
    I breathed heavily, trying to get my oxygen back. I was out of breath. I felt like I was going to die from lack of oxygen.
    Everyone was saying congratulations, but I was out of breath to even talk. I walked as slow as a snail to my seat with my best friends, T and TJ, and flopped down in my seat.

1 comment:

  1. Great work really showing the action and emotion of this race.

    ReplyDelete