Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Slice Of Life #254 - IGCSE Oral Exam - Tuesday, March 17th, 2020

    My heart was beating fast and hard as if it was too big for my chest to contain it anymore. I took a few deep breaths, focusing on the task at hand.
    Before I even anticipated it, my invigilator came to the preparation room. "Hi, Zhi Hong," She said to me nicely. "I'm your examiner for today."
    I followed her into the examination room. She clicked the record button, then read out all my information, including my candidate number before we started the actual test. I was taken aback: I had no idea the test was going to be like that. I had practiced a lot before the test but had had no idea what the examiner was going to do during the actual exam.
    I was about to find out.
    "We will now start the role play," The examiner told me. She read out all the instructions in Malay and started talking to me. I played along as I was told to (I was given a card telling me what to do during the role play and 15 minutes to prepare so I would know what to do during the exam).
    After the role-play, it was time for my prepared topic, where I had written an essay about Chinese New Year and had memorized it in advance. I was most scared about this - I was scared about forgetting what I was going to say. Somehow, I managed to find the strength to remain calm even with the stressful circumstances. I said everything smoothly, without a single mistake.
    After that, it was time for the free talk, which was a conversation with the examiner. I found that part especially easy, as all the questions that the examiner asked me were easy to respond to. There were a few questions that posed a challenge to me, but I managed to get through them without the examiner knowing that I was being challenged by the question (I managed to hide it).
    In the end, I managed to get through the exam without a problem and went home happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment