The cold air of the library hit me straight in the face. "Good luck," Mr. Herbert said to us.
I looked around the library. Nervous energy immediately filled my body. I wasn't expecting this.
I had already knew that we were going to be competing against 21 teams, but it didn't really occur to me in my brain that with 21 teams came a whole lot of people.
"Over here," Ms. Suji, our librarian, called over to us.
We went over to a corner in the library. "I have a few things to do, so help quiz each other."
My friend, Aadit, opened up a book and started quizzing me on it. I looked at my teammates. They were already being quizzed by other people.
After a while, Ms. Suji came back to us again. We were going to be going to the Melawati Theater soon to take part of the Novel Knockout competition. The competition was organized by KLLN (Kuala Lumpur Library Network). Because of that, there were many schools coming to compete, all striving to become the champion of Novel Knockout.
In the Novel Knockout competition, we were asked a variety of extremely detailed questions from 8 different (selected) books. It was a team "sport", as some people would "specialize" in a few books and memorize the details in them. The team would then compete together, as a team and answer all the questions. I had previously finished all the 8 books and was ready for the competition. I had worked extremely hard for this, and really hoped to get 1st place this year.
Our elementary school Novel Knockout competition was first.
"And finally... Please welcome, ISKL, the International School of Kuala Lumpur!" The commentator said.
I took a deep breath and walked to the front of the auditorium.
For about a few minutes, the commentator explained and clarified a few things for us competitors.
We started the Ipad questions. The first few questions were pretty easy. After only a few seconds, 10 questions were to be answered on a piece of paper. These questions were worth 1 point, but if you wrote down an answer close to the correct answer but not descriptive enough, you could get 1/2 a point.
The Ipad questions were multiple choice questions, so you could at least get some questions correct if you were lucky enough if you didn't know the correct answer.
Some of the questions on the Ipad and the questions on the paper were the same, which was a real lifesaver, because it always provided us with the correct answer when we didn't know the answer.
After the elementary teams competed, we watched the secondary teams compete. The commentator would also ask trivia questions to the audience, and if we answered the trivia questions correctly, we would be able to get a KitKat and/or a free book.
After a while, the results came out. 5th place was announced first. My heart was beating fast. I was literally shivering. I really wanted to get 1st place this year.
"And in 2nd place..." The commentator said. We waited. "Is ISKL 2!"
"Yes!" I yelled with happiness. I quickly went to the front of the auditorium to claim my prize, a book voucher.
I clutched the envelope that contained the book voucher in it tightly. I had worked hard for the competition, and finally, we did it.
No comments:
Post a Comment