Last Friday, we had an event that we have every year - International Fest. But this year, it was really exciting for me. Because I was the oldest Malaysian in the elementary division of the school, I was going to be leading the flag parade with the "oldest Malaysian whose been here the longest", "non-Malaysian student whose been here the longest", "youngest Malaysian", and the "youngest Malaysian whose been here the longest". I was also going to carry our school flag and be in the front of the parade with the principal. Because it was decided that I was going to lead the parade near the end of the school day, I didn't have to go to the practice, which meant that I didn't have to miss band - this happened the day before the parade.
Before the parade started, I went to the very front of the line. The oldest grade (in this case, grade 5), would lead the parade, followed by all the younger grades. For some reason, the principal became very strict about not going in front of us (for the "normal" kids). High school percussion came to play for us, and I felt good for them because I think they got excused from class (not that I don't like to learn, because I love school). But on the other hand, I felt bad for some of them, because they were carrying really big drums - and they were using their shoulder to support all the weight.
The parade was supposed to end in the amphitheater, where we would do talk about the nationalities we had in the school. I saw the kindergarten kids waving at us from below. "How old are you?" I asked the girl who was the youngest whose been here the longest.
"5." She replied.
I thought about what grade she would be in. She was probably either in prep-junior or senior, and had probably joined in prep-reception. We walked throughout the school, "collecting" all the kids from all the different grades. The cleaners were "hiding" in the toilets, taking pictures with their phones, looking at all the commotion.
When we reached the amphitheater, I didn't really know what to do because I was not at the practice. Apparently all I had to do was walk to the front and stand on the "stage". I thought that it was really unfair because the person carrying the Malaysian flag wasn't even Malaysian.
This year, it was a little different. Like always, when your country was called, you would stand up and wave your flag provided by the school - your own country's flag, at least (and make some noise, if you want to). The country you got on your flag depended on what your passport was (that was registered with the school) But this year, when the country was called, the flag bearer of that country would walk up to the middle and place it in one of the 6 the pots in the middle, unlike the previous years, where you only got to carry the flag during the parade. In the previous years, after the parade, you would give it to an adult, who would help you put it in the pot. Other than that, this was the first year we were doing it outdoors, as usually it would be indoors, in the studio. If it rained during the ceremony, it would take place in the gym, but fortunately, it didn't rain, and we got to do it in the amphitheater.
Because the flags were being called in alphabetical order, Malaysia, my beautiful country, was called in the middle. Lots of people stood up and make noise. I cheered, although I didn't have a flag - I gave mine to the little kids that led the parade (the youngest in the school, and the youngest that had been here the oldest - if that makes any sense to you). After the parade, we were called up to the front and acknowledged.
After the parade, we had art class, and after that, we had recess. And during that time, I FINALLY MET MY 3RD GRADE TEACHER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately, all my teachers, beside my 4th grade and 5th grade teacher (in other words, my current teacher), have left. And now my 5th grade teacher is retiring after this year. That leaves only my 4th grade teacher. She said that she would be going to my graduation, which is good (like, she promised...)
I talked to my REALLY, AMAZINGLY, INSANELY, SURPRISINGLY, SERIOUSLY, EXCELLENT, MARVELOUS, SKILLED, TALENTED, GOOD - really, Ms. Victor (I guess I say that to every one of my teachers) - teacher before I went to play. We were supposed to have our snack together, but people were getting her to go here and there, and we couldn't find her. Fortunately, I was able to talk to her during lunch time. After a few minutes, I said goodbye as I walked to class.
It was great to see you lead the parade and get to chat a bit throughout the day! Maybe I will be at your graduation if you invite me. Hmm, do you really say the same things to all your teachers?! I will try not to be offended. (j/k).
ReplyDeleteMs .Victor
You are always welcome to my graduation! Please come! Hehe!
Delete