Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Slice Of Life #127 - Craving for Durian

    My alarm clock shook as it rang. Like always, I snoozed it. I always woke got out of bed on the second or third time it rang. I liked to get some more sleep. On the 2nd time it rang. I turned off the alarm and jumped out of bed.
    All I saw when I went out of my room was a blinding flash of yellow light. Everybody was awake. My mom was doing something on the computer, and my dad was replying to a few important messages in his room. It took a while for my eyes to adjust to the light, but I didn't wait for my eyes to focus. I made my way to the stairs, which was right in the middle of the second floor, and made my way down.
Image result for chee cheong fun in english
Chee Cheong Fun - Picture Credits:
https://goo.gl/images/88tu5G
    It was 6:20 in the morning, and we were going to eat some durian. Someone had invited us (along with a bunch of other lectures and doctors and really high ranked people in the hospital and some other people) to go eat durian in Raub, Pahang. We planned to depart at 7:00 and stop at Bentong, which according to Wikipedia, is a municipality (I actually had to google that up to find out what it meant). In Malaysia, we have some food that we call Chee Cheong Fun, and from what I heard, the Chee Cheong Fun there was really good (according to google, it is a rice noodle roll, but the word does not have anything to do with how it looks).
    Everyone from my area (in terms of stay) gathered in front of my dad's clinic. Because it was so early, there was parking everywhere. I had the freedom to run around and have fun because there were barely any cars, which is a rare sight. When everyone arrived, we hopped into the 2 cars that we were driving to Raub, and drove off.
    I tried to get my mom's friend to get slower and explain that she was speeding, but she didn't listen. For most of the time, she was driving at 2 times the speed limit, and if you added it up, it was faster than Malaysia's highest speed limit.
    We made a quick toilet break at a petrol station. What I thought was really special was the fact that the toilet was inside the snacks area in the petrol station.
    It wasn't very long after that we reached the place where we were going to eat Chee Cheong Fun.
We were lucky that we reached there early, because 10 minutes into our breakfast, there was a really long line in front of the Chee Cheong fun stall. The Chee Cheong Fun was good (especially the beancurd/tofu skin), but the sauce was way too salty. I ended up giving most of the noodles to my dad and eating fried beehoon.
    When we reached the house of the person that invited us to eat durian, I quickly got off the car. The person entertained us while the others were setting up the tables. We learned a lot about durian, especially how to differentiate the different types of durian and differentiate if it was grown on flat land or bumpy land).
Image result for durian
Delicious Durian - Picture Credits:
https://goo.gl/images/Pp9LZN
    Then came the fun part. We got to eat the durian! He announced that he was planning of starting some type of "delivering durian to your doorstep program", and that we could help him out. Lots of people signed up (but I don't know if you can make profit because I didn't quite understand).
    We ate D24 durian, which if is grown in our area is normal but tastes really good if is grown in Raub. Next, we ate Musang King durian, which is good in the whole Malaysia (no offense, but in my opinion Malaysia's durians' are by far the best. If you are a durian lover, you have to try Malaysia's durian).
    We were also allowed to go to the farm, which was a privilege to us. I decided to sit in the back of the 4-wheel-drives because I was still small. We had to duck quite frequently, but I only needed to duck occasionally because I was short. All I needed to do was make sure that I dodged most of the leaves, but I would duck if there was a durian (you have no idea how much it hurts to get hit by a durian). The owner of the durian farm told us that they tied the durians to the tree so it wouldn't fall and break other durians (money does kind of grow on trees - durian=money).
    I also got to pick rambutans from trees (I found out that yellow rambutans were things). I also learned a lesson - always sit in the front car because you will probably always reach first. (haha!) A car got stuck going up, and we already reached. I made my way down with the person that invited us to eat durian (the "tour guide") to find them. The run was worth it because I managed to get my phone from my mom, which I used to take beautiful photos.
    I had found a durian that had been eaten by a squirrel earlier, but there were still things to eat inside eat (I don't know how to describe the thing that you eat inside the durian.) Unfortunately, when I went to see where my parents were stuck, someone let them borrow a knife to cut open my durian, and they opened it and ate everything inside it without my permission.
    We found a small tiny snake. It looked like a toy snake, but after looking at it for a while, we found out that it was real and poisonous.
    Time flew and our visit to the durian farm quickly ended. We thanked the owner of the farm for the free durian and said goodbye to the beautiful place.

P.S. Google really has to fix their spelling. They don't know how to spell "durian" and "rambutans"

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had fun. I do NOT like durian, so I do not know if I would have enjoyed it as much. You are having plenty of adventures this break

    ReplyDelete