There was a creak as the bright brown doors of the hotel room opened and cold air gushed out of the room.
"Good morning!" The man exclaimed. "Zhi Hong, is it?"
"Yes," I replied. "Good morning, sir!" I said again, not wanting to be rude.
"Thanks for being here!"
"My pleasure."
The man was wearing a fine blue shirt, and a black tie. I had read about this man in the waiting room, which was basically a hotel room. It was on a 'poster' (not really a poster, but something like it) that said -- About Your Examiner -- in tough bold words. This examiner was a very good pianist with a diploma, who passed his grade 8 piano practical exam with a distinction.
"So, if you just take a seat at the piano and let me see what songs you are playing, that would be great." The examiner said. There was a shuffle as I took out the paper that I was supposed to give to the examiner and handed it to him.
I stared at the front cover of my book of pieces, and I saw the word 'Trinity' again and again. Yes, the name of the company. Yes, this was a real examination.
"Thank you for waiting." The man said. "Now, would you like to start with your pieces or technical work?"
"Anything would be fine," I said to be met with a reply.
"Your exam!"
"I guess I'll do technical work."
I quickly finished my technical work, and we moved on to my pieces, playing nothing wrong like my technical work.
"You have sight reading, so why don't we have your sight reading now?"
"No problem."
The examiner walked towards me and placed the sight reading book on the 'playing stand'. "Let's have 1A. You have 30 secs."
I quickly scanned through the piece. 30 seconds flew by, and I took a deep breath, and started playing. It was lucky that the examiner gave me a easy one, because I easily played the whole thing.
Next came musical knowledge. The examiner asked me questions about my songs, and I also answered them, lucky that the examiner gave me easy questions again.
"You are now done with your examination. You may go home now. Have a nice day."
"You too! Thanks for the awesome examinations!" I said with joy in my voice.
I opened the door, lifted my foot, and swung out of the room.
Sounds like you did really well! What is this exam for? You seemed relaxed.
ReplyDeleteThis exam is a piano exam (practical). Thanks for commenting!
ReplyDelete