Recently, I've taken a course on how to make comics from an ISKL alumni,
Matt Smith. I'm pretty sure the school wants to publish a collection of authentic memories from ISKL, and since I signed up for the course, I get to contribute (YAY!)
I'm currently making a comic about my experience moving to our new campus from our old campus 2 years ago, and I'm really enjoying the experience. I've also realized that I'm a lot better at drawing than I really think I am (which doesn't really mean anything, because I'm still pretty bad 🤣). If you take a look at my thumbnails (basically a first draft), you can see that some parts look good, whereas some parts look pretty bad. Well, I may have copied the good parts from google... (ie. the audience in the first panel)
 |
| My script outline |
On Sunday, I finished my script outline, which is just like my plan when making a story (it's a "comic story arc"). Then, yesterday, I was really into drawing and spent quite a long time (30 minutes) drawing my thumbnails. I don't really mind spending all that time, though. It was a pleasurable and fun experience, and I at least did something productive. I scanned it and sent it to Mr. Smith, who is offering me lots of guidance and is also my editor/letterer (basically, that means that he's going to take the comic and put it into photoshop so he can add the text in the speech balloons for me). At 11pm (he's in another country with a different timezone), he replied me telling me that he's shared my thumbnails with the other editors and that it's been approved (YAY AGAIN!!!!) Of course, I read the reply when I woke up the next day (it was a terribly good start to the day). He's also offered me some suggestions on how I can change the ISKL Panther (forgive my bad drawing, as it doesn't really look like a panther at all 😂). He suggested that I change the Panther to have a face that's more round, unli
ke the rest of his body. This gives him a really nice outline that is unique, and if we take a look at the silhouette of the new Panther (top right of comic), we can see that he is more easily recognized and differentiated from the other character, who is an ISKL student (who was originally intended to be me, but I changed the hairstyle and made the person very fat, so it's not me anymore...)
 |
| My comic thumbnails - still work in progress, so stay tuned to see the end product! :) |
So, basically, that's my update of the week about my comic-making. I'll make sure to keep you updated about it!
No comments:
Post a Comment