"On your marks," I heard the race starter say. I tensed up, looking straight forward.
And a few seconds later, I heard the gunshot. BANG! I was confused. Wasn't he supposed to say "set" first? I thought so, but the gunshot meant to start running, and so without thinking about anything else, I started to break into a slow sprint. There were about 6 people in front of me, and about 8 people behind me. I started to run even faster, being mindful not to run too fast because I didn't want to lose all my energy to quickly.
I was running the 800 meters, and this was it. I was representing my school at the competition, and the time I got here was final. I then slowed down into a jog, trying to cut into the first lane. Because the first lane was so crowded, I tripped trying to get in.
Oh, no! I thought. I knew that even though I was falling, it wouldn't do me any bad to try and get even further. Thinking fast, I took a few fast steps, trying to stop my fall. But it didn't work. Instead, I was running slanting upwards, falling as I was running. Next, I put my hands in front of me to brace my fall.
I felt my hands being scraped as I made contact with the wet track. Knowing that I couldn't waste anymore time, I got up and kept on running. About 5 people had already passed me by now, and I had to get my pace back.
Seeing the people ahead of me, I started to pick up the pace and run a little faster. After overtaking the people, I started to increase my speed a little so they wouldn't be able to catch up.
I then heard the sound of a bell, which was to signal that we were done (or almost done, at least) with the first lap. I started to run even faster, keeping in mind that there were people behind me. Passing by the "athletes' village", I heard the sound of my teammates cheering for me. My hands still burned from the scrape I had got from the fall, but at least my hand wasn't bleeding. Nearing the last 200 meters, I didn't speed up, but instead told myself that I needed to save energy for the finish. I was going to sprint at the finish and try and catch up to the person in front of me.
Nearing the last 100 meters, I recognized a line from our track at school. And when I saw that white line, it was my cue to start to sprint.
And so, I started to sprint. I started to sprint like mad. I felt like I was going to die, but I told myself that I was really close to the finish line, and so I was going to finish this race.
I took a big leap as I crossed the finish line and dipped down so my chest would cross first (as that's what really counts - if your chest crosses the finish line first, you win).
I took deep breaths in and out. Now that the race was over, I was going to get more fresh air, as that was what I really needed.
I walked back to the athletes village (which is kinda' like our base camp) and opened up my food. I needed to eat some more, for I had the 200m sprint later in the day.
To fill up the time, I decided to watch a few other events.
But at last, it came. I tensed up at the finish line, and waited for the gunshot. As soon as you hear the gunshot, run! I told myself. BANG! The race starter fired the gun. I started to sprint and use up all the energy that I had. In the last 100 meters, a kid cut into my lane. What? Don't you get disqualified for cutting into other people's lanes? I thought.
But I kept running. Nearing the finish line, I tried to run faster, but the kid was blocking my way. I didn't want to exit my lane, for I didn't want to get disqualified. After the race, I told the judge, but the judge replied me and said: "I think you can do that in the 200 meters."
What? Why would you be able to cut into the first lane in the 200 meters if lane 8 gets about a 25 meter head start than lane 1?
And because the kid cheated - I was sure he knew the rules - I came in 4th place.
I went back to the athletes village, disappointed, but told myself that it wasn't the end of the world.
After a few minutes, I heard Ms. Val, one of our PE teachers, ask: "Where's Zhi Hong?"
"Here," I replied.
"Mr. Balsamo needs you!" She called back.
"Congratulations, you're on the relay team." Mr. Balsamo said.
"Wait, wh-" I was cut off before I could finish.
"Matthew's injured. You're his replacement."
I knew I had to go. The original backup had quit, and if I didn't go in, we wouldn't do very well in the relay.
I jogged up to the starting line. I didn't have long to talk to my teammates, but what we said to each other would have to do. The race was starting.
BANG! I heard the gunshot in the distance. I saw all the runners start to sprint. I watched, my eyes fixed on the baton as it was passed on to Greg. I watched as Greg sprinted up to me.
"BATON!" He yelled as I started to pick up speed. I felt the baton slide into my hand, and I started to sprint like mad. My legs were short, but I just had to make do. I moved my legs as fast as I could, focused on nothing but the track.
"BATON!" I yelled to Alan and he started to jog. I shoved the baton into his hands and he clenched it hard. And then, he started to sprint.
Overall, we finished 5th, but technically, we finished 3rd because a school had cut into our lane during the relay (which results in disqualification), and another school had dropped their baton during the relay (which also results in disqualification).
But it didn't matter. Because today, was supposed to be all about fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment