I was at a stroke support group organized by an NGO called Tzu Chi (which I help out at pretty often because my dad is one of the coordinators for the medical division). We were helping stroke patients do some exercise.
Some of my friends were also helping out too. Ishan and Leo, my friends, were also helping the stroke patients do some exercise. The exercise lasted about 30 minutes. After the exercise session was over, we played a game (which, honestly, I'm pretty confused regarding how it's supposed to be played). In the game, the patients had to pick a piece of paper, and I think they would have to switch pieces of paper or something like that. But basically, to sum it up, the point of the game was to get patients to interact with others and to move around and (I think) strengthen their muscles.
After that, we watched a video with them. The video also had a short dance (or for them, a "hand dance", I guess). We helped the patients move their hands and perform the "hand dance". I knew the song that they were playing, and it was a really meaningful and nice song. I think that stroke patients also enjoyed moving their hands and singing along.
Finally, lunch had come. There were two people (stroke patients) with their birthdays on that day. I brought out the cake and my friends, Leo and Ishan, gave the two patients each a present - a small little bear on a keychain.
We also served the patients cake and some food for lunch. After lunch marked the end of the short event. Time had flown and passed quickly without me realizing. I felt good leaving that day, knowing that I had done a good deed to help others.
No comments:
Post a Comment