"We're starting!" I heard Daniel's voice as he tapped the ball from the middle of the small pitch that we had at the upper playground. I watch as Storm slowly walked forward and forcefully kicked the ball in front of him. I ran forward, trying to get the ball from Raj, another opposition of mine (for the game, at least). He drove the ball past me, kicking it at the goal.
Tiago, the goalkeeper for our team, caught it with both hands and kicked it up the pitch. Everyone ran up the pitch. Tobiah kicked the ball towards the goal but missed. Toby, the goalkeeper for the other team grabbed the ball with his hands and kicked it back up the pitch. So far, what was going on was like a game of tennis - the ball being kicked back and forth up and down the pitch.
Storm dribbled the ball up, but I ran up and tackled him. I ran up and kicked the ball back with my heel. Tommy kicked it back to me as Storm tried to tackle him. I kicked the ball hard and passed it to James. He kicked the ball at the goal, but Toby managed to hit the ball back. Tobiah ran up and kicked the ball towards the goal, but Daniel kicked the ball off course. Daniel then tried to counterattack, kicking the ball towards the other goal. I saw Storm rushing to get the ball, looking straight at the goal.
"DEFENCE!" I heard people cry out. Everyone on our team ran back to the goal.
Jules turned as Storm kicked the ball at the goal, and the ball deflected off his back. I rushed to get the rebound and kicked the ball up the pitch. James ran for the ball. He passed it to Tommy, who passed it to Jules, who passed it back to Tommy. Tommy shot the ball. It hit the crossbar. Daniel kicked the ball to the side. I ran for the ball.
"Over here, Zhi Hong!" I heard James call out.
But I didn't pass it back. No one was marking me or trying to get the ball from me, and I had a clear shot ahead of me. The only person in my way was Toby, the goalkeeper, but he was standing in the middle of the goal. There was some space for the ball to go in.
Ignoring the shouts from my teammates, I took aim, and shot at the goal.
And it went in.
"Goal!!!" Me and my teammates shouted, running back towards our side of the pitch. I watched as smiles materialized
"Yes, Zhi Hong!" I heard Tiago shout over all the noise around us.
Toby had been too late in defending the goal, and perhaps also a little clumsy. If he had gotten a better grip of the ball, he would have managed to stop the ball from going into the goal. Instead, he knocked it into the goal on accident.
Disappointed, Daniel brought the ball and placed it in the middle of the pitch and kicked the ball. Everyone on our team retreated. All we had to do now was defend the ball, and we would win. And judging by the time on my watch, it was only about 5 more minutes until recess would end, which meant that the match would end.
Daniel passed the ball to Storm, but instead passed it to Jules on accident. He kicked it up the pitch. Toby ran up the pitch to kick it up, which wasn't a very wise idea, but we didn't score, and to him, it was all that mattered.
Toby kicked it to Daniel, who kicked it to Raj. My neck moved slowly as I watched the ball move towards the goal, my eyes transfixed on the ball. I watched as the ball moved and hit the top corner of the goal, but didn't go in. If the ball had went just a little "lefter", it would have went in. I heard cries of disappointment from the other team.
But the attack wasn't over yet. Daniel had managed to get the ball and was kicking it towards the goal. James dived, blocking the ball with his legs.
This time, Storm shot. Tiago blocked it with his hands. Now, Raj was right in front of the goal, and he looked ready to kick the ball anytime soon. Rajit, another teammate of mine, kicked the ball up, but it bounced off my knee. Tiago reached up and pushed the ball back out of the goal.
"Yes, Tiago!" There were cheers from the people on our team.
I was happy that Tiago was the goalkeeper. If he wasn't, I would have scored an own goal, and that wouldn't be the tiniest bit good.
Just then, the whistle blew, signalling that recess was over. There were cheers of happiness from the people on our team.
We had won the game.
No comments:
Post a Comment